- Please select:
Committee – Athletics
Acts as the “voice” of the athletics coaching staff to the rest of the committee. Responsible for ensuring that quality training sessions are being held as planned, and needs or issues are highlighted to the committee. To manage the club's participation in all the major, externally organised athletics and cross-country competitions (i.e. organised by other clubs or organisations).
Specific activities / jobs
- Act as single point of contact for track and field coaches (sprints, middle-distance, hurdles, jumps and throws).
- Be the track and field coaching representative / liaison into the committee.
- Represent track and field coaches’ needs to the committee with the intent to enable all coaches to offer the best possible training sessions.
- Keep information on training and fitness sessions, our coaches, and other relevant info up to date on the website.
- Keep up to date with UKA and England Athletics coaching standards.
- Ensure the club has adequate coaches available and succession plan by assisting new and existing coaches.
- Liaison with WLAN and other clubs for joint sessions where required to share resources.
- Recruit and/or encourage members to train as qualified officials.
- Maintain a database of qualified officials.
- Liaise with UKA to be aware of when appropriate officials' courses are available.
- Competition in the Southern Athletics League.
- Competition in the Rosenheim League.
- Competition in the Southern Vets T&F League.
- Competition in the Metropolitan XC League.
- Competition in the Sunday XC League.
- Competition in cross-country championships.
General duties and responsibilities
A key aspect is liaising between all Serpentine track and field coaches and the committee, always with a view to delivering the best possible opportunities to club members. Equally it is paramount to ensure all relevant parties are kept informed of new developments.
- Work with team captains and track and field coaches to ensure sessions are held regularly, in suitable locations, and meet members’ needs and that teams take part in all the major leagues. Highlight any issues to the committee.
- Ensure the club has enough officials to fulfil its duties at home and away meetings.
- Ensure all training activities are conducted in a safe and professional environment, with the health and safety guidelines set out by the club and other governing bodies observed at all times.
Note that is not the job of the Committee member to organise every aspect of participation in all of these events, but more to facilitate participation by encouraging individuals or groups, in the form of sub-committees, to take on the management of each event or league.
The committee member ensures that the club's participation in external events follows all risk, health and safety guidelines stipulated by the organisers of each event and that members participating or assisting observe Serpentine's health and safety policies.
- Endurance Running Rep to coordinate where duties may overlap around middle-distance (800m/1500m)
- Race Organisation Rep to decide on club championship races
- Juniors Rep to coordinate coaching staff and progression from junior to senior sessions
- Club Kit Rep to make sure appropriate club racewear is available
- Athletics coaches
- Southern Athletics League T & F captains
- Southern Vets League T & F captains
- Rosenheim League T & F captains
- Cross-Country team captains