6 & 4 Stage Road Relays - SIGN UP NOW OPEN!
The 6 and 4 Stage Relays mark the transition between the track and X-country seasons and are a great opportunity to run for your club, support your team mates and enjoy a Serpie trip out of London, paid for by the club. Sign up here
These relays have a great tradition, with the likes of Scott Overall and Steph Twell representing their clubs in recent years, and offer you the chance to run against some of the best athletes in the country. However, there is a wide spread of ability in the field so don't be put off because you think you are too slow, you are not! We would like to take this opportunity to enter as many Vets teams as well as Senior teams as possible in the Southerns, there is no limit, so please put your name down if interested in taking part, no matter your age or speed and we’ll do our best to make it happen.
The timing is different for the Southerns this year with both men and women racing on Sunday 25th September. The relays will also be held in Bedford rather than Aldershot. Please note that unfortunately this year there is a clash between the road relays and the Isle of Wight fell races.
The ERRA Nationals will be on Saturday 8th October (seniors only - the vets nationals are only in May of each year). The men need to qualify for the Nationals at the Southerns by finishing in the top 25, whereas the women qualify 3 teams for Nationals automatically. We hope you will sign up for both, but if you are only able to make one or other, you will still be welcome to race. All travel and entries for both relays are fully funded by the Club. Full details below:
- Venue: Bedford Autodrome, Bedford. PLEASE NOTE NEW LOCATION
- Dates and Timing:
- All races on 25th September
1.15pm Senior women
1.15pm Veteran women
1.40pm Senior men
1.40pm Veteran men
- Expect to be out most of the day once travel time there and back is included.
- Distance: Senior and veteran women 4 x 3.85km; Senior men 6 x 6km; Veteran men 4 x 6km
- Venue: Sutton Park, Sutton Coldfield
- Dates and Timing:
- Senior men 1:30pm; Senior women 12noon; both on 8th October (no vets)
- This will take all day once travel time there and back is included. Again there will be celebrations - in the pub at Sutton Coldfield and on the train home!
- Distance: Senior women 4 x 4.3km; Senior men 6 x 5.85km
Sign up now!
If you want to be part of this years event, here's what you need to do:
- You must be a FIRST claim member.
- You must be registered with England Athletics. Follow the link to do this via Serpiebase if you haven't paid this year.
- Sign up here Click on the relevant link on the right hand side - Men 6 stage (+Male Vets), Women 4 stage (+Female Vets)
- Enter your predicted 5k time based on your current fitness and recent performances.
- In the comments you can add any notes regarding injuries you are recovering from / whether or not you mind running for an incomplete team etc.
- Please indicate in the comments whether you qualify for the Vets team and if you would prefer to run for the Vets.
- Choose whether you can make just the SEAA Southern Relay, just the ERRA National Relay or Both.
Note: By signing up you are committing to take part, bar injury or unforeseen events, not just showing interest. If you pull out with no good reason you will be letting your team-mates down.
Serpentine has a recent history of some great individual and team performances at these relays and hopefully this year will be no exception, so we look forward to seeing as many names as possible, both old and new, on the list.
And remember that to be part of the Club's occasional free team entry to the likes of the Vitality 10k your chances are much improved if you represent the Club in these relays.
For further information please check the website above, then contact:
- Senior men's team – We are currently looking for a senior men's captain. If you are interested or have any questions about what it involves please email Rich Bartlett
- Veteran men's team - Tom Poynton
- Senior women's team – Sarah Pemberton
- Veteran women's team - Lisa Pettit
- Endurance running competition & team events coordinator - Rich Bartlett
Sarah, Tom, Lisa and Rich
Submitted: 5 August 2016