Applications for the 2014-15 tri squads will close on Sunday 26 October
If you would like to know more about the squads or how to apply please read on
About the squads
There will be four squads next season: a novice, an improvers' squad, a performance squad and a long distance squad.
All squads are targeting individuals who are looking to commit to a full season of triathlon training and racing as their athletic goal and specifically:
The novice squad is suitable for individuals who have not yet completed a triathlon or who have completed a triathlon, but perhaps did so without any structured training, and are looking to train for, and race, either Sprint or Olympic distance in 2015.
The improvers' squad is suitable for triathletes who have completed one or more seasons of training and racing and are looking to train for, and race, Olympic distance in 2015. If you are thinking of racing middle distance late in the season this is also the squad for you.
The performance squad is for highly motivated triathletes who are looking to achieve maximum performance gains targeting Sprint or Olympic distance races and qualifying events for ETU and ITU age group championships races in 2015.
The long distance squad is for triathletes who have completed 2 or more seasons of training and racing and are targeting a long distance race between 27th June and 26th July 2015. Please note you must have a confirmed entry for a race before being considered for this squad.
If you are unsure of which squad to apply for, choose one and we'll talk amongst ourselves to select the most appropriate squads for you. Please note the squads are not suitable for those that intend to run a spring marathon. The coaching and training we provide is not compatible with marathon training even if you are planning a long distance race in 2015.
How to apply
Applications to join close on Sunday 26th October. Once you have applied there will be an initial meeting on Thursday 6th November at 19:00 at a venue in Pimlioc between the coaches and triathletes so we can meet you and you can ask questions to find out more about the squads.
Cost for the squads for the whole year is approx £240 payable in 2 instalments. The first instalment of approximately £160 is payable after the initial meeting and confirms your acceptance on the squads. The second of approximately £80 is payable in March 2015. Please note these costs are approximates as we are still planning your season and have yet to confirm all costs. Your coaches receive no payment for the coaching services provided and the payment is to cover all swim costs (pool and open water sessions), a swim video analysis, the spin studio and the services of a sports psychologist etc. Payment must be received no later than Sunday 16th November as squad coaching starts week commencing Monday 17th November.
Your coaching team for the year consists of:
- Vanessa Gunner – BTF level 2 - heading up the novice squad
- Rosh Karunaratne – working toward BTF level 2 – assisting with the novice squad
- Stefano Pardi - working toward BTF level 2 – assisting with the novice squad
- Jen Nel – working toward BTF level 2 - assisting with the novice squad
- Mauro Vilasi - working toward BTF level 1 - assisting with the novice squad
- Gemma Phillips - working toward BTF level 1 - assisting with the novice squad
- Debbie Chisholm - working toward BTF level 1 - assisting with the novice squad
- John Lund – BTF level 2 – heading up the intermediate squad
- Margaret Sills – BTF level 3 – assisting with the intermediate squad
- Paul Wilson – BTF Level 2 – assisting with the intermediate squad
- Anna Diamatapolis – working toward BTF level 2 – assisting with the intermediate squad
- Debbie Croydon – working toward BTF level 2 – assisting with the intermediate squad
- Fay Israsena – working toward BTF level 1 – assisting with the intermediate squad
- Steve Anyon – BTF Level 2 – assisting with the performance squad
- Will Jones – BTF level 2 – assisting with the performance squad
- Michele Tiozzo – working toward BTF level 1 - assisting with the performance squad
- Alex Elferink – BTF level 2 - heading up the long distance squad
- Ludovica Bruno – working toward BTF level 2 – assisting with the long distance squad
- Jill Bishop – working toward BTF level 1 – assisting with the long distance squad
- Kamlesh Parmar – BTF level 1 – assisting all squads and focusing on spin and cycling
The observant amongst you will have noticed there is no one heading up the performance squad. This has yet to be decided but will be confirmed once known.
Also note that although we have allocated coaches to squads and disciplines your may receive coaching at some point from any of the above in any of the disciplines at we operate in a fluid manner. Further information on these coaches can be found on the Serpentine website.
So what's involved in the squads?
You will receive 1 to 3 coached sessions per week in total from November through to July in the three triathlon disciplines. Each squad will receive 1 coached swim session and 1 coached bike spin session exclusive to the squads as well as 1 coached run session each week. There will also be adhoc weekend coached sessions covering cycle skills, group riding, transitions and run technique. You'll train mostly with your squad though we'll mix up squads were necessary to balance the skill level.
You will also receive a swim video analysis, feedback and a video of your swim stroke. In the summer there will be open water swim coaching. We have also booked a sports psychologist and a nutritionist to help you with this side of the sport. There are other things that are still in the planning stage that we'll be able to confirm at the initial meeting.
There will also be theory sessions such as goal setting and helping you to understand concepts such at periodization of training, volume, intensity, frequency and duration of training. We'll give you the tools to help you construct your own training plan. Please note we will not actually write the plan for you but will give you feedback on the plan you have written yourself using the tools we give you.
Please note it's not first come first served so take time with your application and give as much detail as possible.
To apply for the squads you must be a current member of Serpentine. Please apply using the Survey Monkey link
The questions you will need to answer are below:
- which squad you are applying for?
- why are you applying for this squad?
- what is your name and age?
- how long have you been a Serpie?
- how much training do you currently do with the club?
- have you ever volunteered for the club?
- what other involvment do you have with the club?
- can you swim front crawl continuously for 100m?
- what is your 400m time?
- what is your swimming background?
- what is your cycle background?
- what average bike speed would you sustain for a steady 2-3 hour training ride on flat terrain?
- what is your best run 5km time?
- what is your best run 10km time?
- what triathlons have you entered in the past, including splits if known?
- do you have any current injuries or illnesses?
- what evenings can you train midweek?
- what is your season goal for 2014/2015?
- list any races you have already entered or are thinking of entering?
- why you want to join the squads?
Please note if you have previously been a member of the Serpentine Tri Squads you will also need to (re)apply but your application will be considered favourably.
If you have any questions regarding the Tri Squad please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitted: 14 October 2014