Autumn Southern and National Road Relays - Sign-Up Open!
The Autumn Relays mark the transition between the track and X-country seasons and are a great opportunity to run for your club, support your team mates and enjoy a Serpie trip out of London, paid for by the club. Read on if you want to participate in these great events...
The Autumn Relays have a great pedigree, with the likes of Mo Farah representing their clubs in recent years, and offer the chance to run against some of the best athletes in the country. However we will be entering a number of teams, so don't be put off because you think you are too slow. As a guide, women should be capable of running faster than 23mins (25mins for VF40), and the men faster than 21 minutes (23mins for VM40) for a 5k, so as not to be left behind. But if you are not sure just sign up and we will organise the teams.
The SEAA Southerns take place on the weekend of 21st/22nd September and the ERRA Nationals on the 12th October (Seniors only - the Vets Nationals are only in May of each year). The men need to qualify for the Nationals at the Southerns (top 25), whereas the women qualify for Nationals automatically. We hope you will sign up for both, but if you are only able to make one or other, you will still be welcome to race. All travel and entry for both relays are fully funded by the Club. Full details below:
- Venue: Rushmore Arena, Aldershot
- Dates and Timing:
- Senior Women and Female Vets (40+): 3:55pm on Saturday 21st September
- Male Vets (40+, 50+, 60+): 12:30pm on Sunday 22nd September
- Senior Men: 2:30pm on Sunday 22nd September.
- Expect to be out most of the day once travel time there and back is included. We usually go for a drink once back in London to celebrate.
- Distance: Senior Women and Female Vets 4 x 3.85km; Senior Men 6 x 6km; Male Vets 4 x 6km
- Venue: Sutton Park, Sutton Coldfield
- Dates and Timing:
- Senior Men 1:30pm; Senior Women 12noon; both on 12th October (no vets)
- This will take all day once travel time there and back is included. Again there will be celebrations - in the pub at Sutton Coldfield and on the train home!
- Distance: Senior Women 4 x 4.3km; Senior Men 6 x 5.85km
So if you want to be part of this year's event, here's what you need to do:
- You must be a FIRST claim member
- Sign up here: http://www.serpentine.org.uk/pages/race_road_relays.html Click on the relevant link on the right hand side - Men 6 stage (+Male Vets), Women 4 stage (+Female Vets)
- Enter your predicted 5k time (Women add your 3k time as well) and your England Athletics Number
- In the comments you can add any notes regarding injuries you are recovering from / whether or not you mind running for an incomplete team etc
- Choose whether you can make just the SEAA Southern Relay, just the ERRA National Relay or Both.
- Note: By signing up you are committing to take part, bar injury or unforeseen events - not just showing interest. If you pull out with no good reason you will be letting your teammates down.
Serpentine has a recent history of some great individual and team performances at these relays and hopefully this year will be no exception, so we look forward to seeing as many names as possible, both old and new, on the list.
And remember that to be part of the Club's occasional free team entry to the likes of the BUPA 10k your chances are much improved if you represent the Club in these relays.
Any further information - first check the website above, then contact:
- Men's Captain - Andrew Reeves
- Senior Women's Captain - Victoria Crawford
- Female Vet's Captain - Victoria Carter
- Competition & Team Events Coordinator - Ian Hodge
Here's to a successful 2013.
Andrew - AndrewReeves@Serpentine.org.uk
Victoria - email@example.com
Victoria - firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitted: 1 August 2013