Isle of Wight Running Weekend
8th-10th April 2016
Following the success of last year's trip we are again organising a trip to the Isle of Wight for some social, non-competitive running.
This year we will be staying in Ryde. We will travel out in groups on Friday 8th April (leaving early afternoon or early evening) and return on Sunday 10th April. Travel will be by train to Portsmouth, then ferry to the Isle of Wight. Accommodation will be in a modest seaside hotel, predominantly in twin rooms. The cost for the weekend will be approximately £100 (the club makes a subsidy to the travel costs), plus meals and drinks etc.
On Saturday morning we will have runs organised in speed groups, or you can opt for independent/parkrun. There is a beautiful coastline with coastal path, a disused railway trail and many pleasant places to run. For those in training for marathons there will be an option for a long run on Sunday morning, again organised in speed groups. A short accompanied run option will also be available.
During the afternoons you will be free to explore the island. There is plenty to see: Osbourne House, Roman villa, vineyard, owl and monkey haven to name but a few. The bus network operates very regular services to enable you to get to all parts of the island. There is also a 'tube' line which runs from Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin down the eastern side of the island.
Places are limited to 40 Serpies.
Travel and accommodation details
- Meet at Waterloo where you will be met by a Serpentine club member who will organise your tickets (there will be two groups travelling, one in early afternoon and one at around 18:00).
- Travel will be by train to Portsmouth, then ferry to the Isle of Wight and onwards by 'tube' to Ryde where we will stay. The journey provides an opportunity to meet fellow Serpies if you are new to the club. We will allocate rooms but if you have preference to share a room with a friend let us know.
- On arrival at Ryde, where we will be staying, you can opt for dinner at the hotel or can choose to find a local cafe or bar to eat. Ryde is on the coast, is a popular resort during the summer months and therefore has a range of eating options.
- We aim to organise a group dinner on Saturday night
- We will be paying around £70/room/night for each twin room in the hotels, and transport is subsidised1 by the club so we ask for a deposit which will cover the bulk of the costs of £86. The balance will be payable to the hotel and is estimated to be between £5-25.
- Places are limited to 40 Serpies.
If you have any further queries, contact Anne Bennett
1. The club pays the first £20 of the travel costs.