Race Day information for the Serpentine New Year's Day 10k
Everything you need to know is available here and race packs will not be sent in advance. Study the following information and the course details carefully! Collect your race numbers and timing chips at registration on race day. Please note the start is approx 250m from registration and the baggage tent; allow enough time to collect your race chip and number and get to the start. The 10k race will start at 11.00am whether you're there or not!
Race day timetable
- 09.00 am – 10.45 am – Collection of race packs open for 10k runners
- 10.55 am – Race briefing at the start. If you're not there you can't race
- 11.00 am – 10k race starts for all competitors
- 11.00am – 10.45 am – Collection of race packs open for 3k runners
- 12.00 pm (noon) - 3k race starts
- 12.20 pm approx – Prize giving (weather and results dependant)
Getting to the race / parking
- We would strongly advise you use public transport to reach the race: Hyde Park Corner, Marble Arch and Green Park tube stations are all nearby and there are numerous buses that serve the park. Please check Transport for London before travelling for full details of times and possible route closures.
- There is very limited parking in the Park– parking is available at the Serpentine and Triangle car parks off West Carriage Drive. They will be open between 8.30am – 6.30pm and will be charged at the standard rate £1.40 per hour. Full details.
- Underground Parking is available at Hyde Park - please check the Hyde Park website for full details and cost
- Registration will be between 9.00am and 10.45am for the 10k and 11.00am and 11.45am for the 3k at the marquee by the finish on Serpentine Road.
- At registration you will receive your race number and a timing chip.
- Your number must be visible on your front at all times during the race and must not be folded or cut down in any way.
- DBMax are once again prviding chip-timing for the race.
- This year we will be using disposable chips so you don't need to return your chip at the end of the race.
- Please ensure you fasten the chip securely to your shoe in the form of a loop. If the chip is flattened then it will not work - it must form a loop.
- All competitors must report to the finish even if you are abandoning the race so we know you are OK.
- Numbers are specific to your age and gender and are non transferable. DO NOT PASS YOUR NUMBER TO ANYONE ELSE. Anyone found number swapping will be disqualified from the race and may be banned from taking part in future Serpentine Running Club races.
- The use of personal stereos, MP3 players, or mobile phones during the race is banned. You need to be fully aware of what is going on around you at all times. This is for your safety, the safety of your fellow competitors and the safety of the public.
- The minimum age for entry to the 10k is 15 years old on race day.
- Baby buggies, dogs and walking poles are not allowed.
- We share Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens with the public, please show them respect – competitors DO NOT have priority over other park users.
The 10k course
- The start is on Main Street approx 250m from registration and the baggage tents - there will be signs showing where to go.
- The course covers both Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens - View course map
- The 10k course is virtually flat, certified accurate and traffic free.
Your safety & safeguarding the future of the race
- The entire race is on paths within the Parks but that only increases the brownian motion of the park's many tourists and dog walkers. Please be aware that tourists are especially likely to move (or suddenly stop!) in mysterious ways and be careful of this on the course. Anybody behaving recklessly; endangering themselves, other competitors or members of the public will be disqualified.
- We will have two water stations on the route. One will be located at the finish and one on the Broad Walk in Kensington Gardens. Please ensure you start the race well hydrated.
- Hyde Park has plenty of litter bins and we will also have rubbish bags at the finish area. Out of respect for the park and its users please do not drop empty drink bottles, gel wrappers or other rubbish on the route or anywhere else.
- Any serious accident or incident will be reported using this form
- There are no showers or changing facilities in Hyde Park so come ready to race.
- You will be able to leave your bag in the marquee just beyond the finish area. To make collection easier, please use the luggage tag provided at registration and attach it to your bag. The bags will be watched by marshals; however do not leave money or valuables as we cannot accept any responsibility for their loss.
- The nearest public toilets are near the start, in the Serpentine Bar and Kitchen and in the Winter Wonderland. Public toilets within the park cost 20p to use so it will be worth bringing some small change.
- Food and hot drinks will be available at the Serpentine Bar and Kitchen.