12 and 6 Stage Road Relays - SIGN UP NOW OPEN
Entries for the South of England and National 12 and 6 stage relays are now open - SIGN UP NOW
The South of England SEAA 12 stage (men) and 6 stage (women) road relays will be held at Gravesend Cycle Park on Sunday 20th March 2016, followed by the ERRA National 12 & 6 stage relays at Sutton Coldfield on Saturday 16th April. These events traditionally mark the changeover from the winter cross-country season to the summer track season and are a great opportunity to experience top level road racing against the best club runners in the country.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN AND WILL CLOSE ON 5TH MARCH - SIGN UP HERE
The venue for Southerns has changed for 2016 being held at Gravesend Cycle Park, which offers a fully traffic free course. Specific details of the course and legs are yet to be revealed, however it is expected that there will be legs alternating between ~5k and ~7k for men and women.
- Be a FIRST CLAIM member of Serpentine.
- Be registered with England Athletics (you can do this in Serpiebase)
- Be available for the majority of the day (9am to 6pm) to run as well as to support your team mates (although we can be flexible on this if you have other important pre-arranged commitments)
Teams will be selected based on ability and we strongly encourage the faster runners amongst you to step forward to represent your club. With our "strength in depth" we historically do extremely well in this event. If you can run a 5k in 24 mins (women) or 20 mins (men), then you'd be comfortable running in the field. However, please don’t let this be a limitation! If you want to race, no matter your standard then please do register using the link above.
In the men's race, the top 25 clubs (out of ~60) will be going to the National ERRA 12 stage road relays. In the past five years, Serpentine men have qualified two teams for the Nationals (best results ever in 2014 with A team in 5th position and B team in 19th) and it would be great to repeat this in 2016. The women qualify automatically for the National ERRA 6 stage road relays, held at the same location and date as the men's nationals. We would like you to sign up for both Southerns and Nationals, but YOU CAN STILL DO THE SOUTHERNS EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR THE NATIONALS AND VICE-VERSA.
- Your expected 5km time on the day (so NOT your PB - the standard you expect to be on the day taking into account fitness, training, previous illnesses. etc
- Any comments, e.g. injuries which might cause a problem, if you have a preference for a short or long leg, or if you would be unwilling to run in an incomplete team.
Remember if you are training for a marathon you can easily do a lap warm-up, followed by your race, followed by a few laps warm down and, hey presto, you've done a long run with a quality 20mins section! There may even be Serpie baking to re-fuel!
We will travel together to Gravesend, paid for by the club. Travel details will be confirmed in due course.
We're looking forward to seeing the sign-up sheet fill up fast!
Jo & Xavier
Submitted: 15 February 2016